Fake IDs are becoming increasingly common among young people, but why do so many people choose to use them? There are a variety of reasons why people use fake IDs, ranging from trying to purchase alcohol or cigarettes to gaining access to places they wouldn’t normally be able to go. While there are some legitimate reasons for using a fraudulent ID, it can also be used to skirt the law and engage in illegal activities. By understanding why people use fake IDs and the risks involved, you can make more informed decisions about the legality of our actions.
Overview of Fake Identification
Fake IDs are fraudulent identification documents used by people who don’t possess the legal right to obtain official government ID. Depending on the jurisdiction, the penalties for producing a fake identification and using it to commit fraud or break the law may vary. A large portion of teens and young adults use fake IDs to access nightclubs, bars, and other age-restricted places. These are also used to misrepresent a person’s age when applying for jobs, travelling, purchasing alcohol and tobacco, or renting hotel rooms. While young people may view fake IDs as a harmless and normal rite of passage, the consequences of getting caught can be serious.
Reasons Why People Use Fake IDs
People use fake IDs for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the reasons:
- Tries to Buy Alcohol or Tobacco
- Trying to gain access to places that are restricted by age
- Wants to travel alone
- Wants to get a job that has an age requirement
- Tries to rent a hotel or car without paying an additional fee for being underage
- Using a friend’s ID to get out of a ticket or a traffic violation
- Use a friend’s or family member’s ID for an identification card for discounts
A person might have a legitimate reason for using a fake ID, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get caught. If a fake identification is discovered, it’s likely to be confiscated and turned over to law enforcement. In some instances, you may be arrested, fined, and charged with a crime. Depending on the reason you used a fraudulent ID and the extent of your fraudulent activities, you may be charged with a felony, which can have long-lasting consequences.
How to Avoid Getting Caught
- Avoid Using a License from Your Home State – If you are caught using a fake ID, one of the first questions law enforcement will ask is where you obtained the ID. Using a license from your home state increases the risk of getting caught.
- Use a Different Name and Address – While some people use fake IDs with their real name and address, this increases the risk of being caught.
- Use High-Quality Fake IDs – Fake IDs that are made using real IDs that are copied or scanned are easy to spot. If you choose to use a fraudulent ID, be sure to use a high-quality fraudulent ID that has all the security features of the real ID.
- Avoid Having Multiple Fake IDs – Having multiple fake IDs increases the chances that you’ll eventually get caught.
If you’re caught using a fraudulent ID, you may be fined and charged with a crime, including a felony in some instances. Even if you’ve never used one, you’ve likely seen them in movies or on TV. In real life, fake IDs are surprisingly common, especially among young people.